We have had quite an eventful morning. We met our playgroup at the library for the "Snake Lady Show". She taught us all a lot about snakes and showed us a ton as well. She kept them all in individual pillowcases so they wouldn't eat each other. We learned the snakes have eliptical eyes and no eyelids. Which means they are always looking around. They use their tounge to smell and listen sort of. RIght before they shed their skin their eyes turn blue. They had a spinal cord and ribs. They can swallow things whole, they do not chew their food. Some snakes have fangs, all have teeth for gripping their prey so that they can't wiggle out of the mouth. It was all very creepy and interesting! At the end of the show she passed out about 6 snakes and allowed everyone to pet or hold them. Of course my two geeks did and I even joined in to help coax some of our friends into doing it. Well, while I was holding one an earthguake shook us all. At first I thought I was falling but then steadied myself and hung on tighter to the snake. Teh magnitude was reproted at an 5.8 and the epicenter was 2 miles outside of Chino. Thank goodness in that packed room no one was hurt including the snakes. At home Paul has been slepping because he has been working overnighters-the poor guy got woken up by the dog barking crazily right before it hit. needless to say the dog doesn't want to go outside! Well, hope all is well where you are. We had fun experiencing snakes and an earthquake. Just more fun times for this Cali girl and her geeks!!
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Snake, Rattle and Roll!!
Posted by
Erin
at
2:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
It was an exciting day for sure. I don't think I would have wanted to be holding a snake when it hit!!
Everyone has been blogging about this earthquake, but you win for being in the funniest place. I don't really get that afraid of earthquakes, but I'm largely afraid of snakes. I would have FREAKED!
I just want to go on record saying that I knew it all along..........
Paul is a big slepper! Cute title to your blog. Bye, MOM!
Erin- So I am a psycho stalker (not really) and I was reading Betheny's blog comments and I saw your comment about Autumn and her allergies and school.
Well you know I am a school nurse and I know exactly what you are dealing with. I do not know if you have contacted your school nurse yet but I would suggest that you do. You will probably need a note from the physician (could be scribbled on a Rx pad) listing her allergies. The school particularly needs this if she is allergic to staples like milk, eggs and peanuts. Then I would contact the school nurse, the site principal, and her teacher. I do have some forms that our district uses, if you want to look at them. Call me, if you don't have my number, call Jill and get it (I don't want to post it on the internet). You have every right to have peace of mind while your child is in school. I have other ideas for classroom care and management if the teacher, principal or nurse have never had such severe allergies in their class before. Does Autumn have an EpiPen Jr? If she has severe (anaphylactic) reactions, you will want to have the physician fill out a medication authorization for school form and provide the school with an EpiPen Jr. for Autumn, leave it in the box with the Rx label from the pharmacy on it. The nurse can train the health clerk, office staff, administrators, lunch aides, and teachers on how to administer it safely and correctly.
Really, I would love to help ease your mind, call if you want! Anytime! Love and miss you all- Bonnie
Wow, you guys are brave. I'm just not a snake fan. I don't know that my kids would be as brave as yours. They look so cute.
Two of my least favorite things, earthquakes and snakes....you are one brave Momma!!!!
I really like snakes as long as I know what kind they are and that they are not poisonous. I can't wait to do things like that with my kids. It just looks funny if I show up to things like that by myself.
Post a Comment