Friday, April 4, 2008

Our School Chaos!!











So, we moved here and Austin was an overload transfer to Donald Grahm Elementary. After a little over 5 weeks he was sent back unwillingly to his home school Jean Haymen elementary. Well, 3 weeks ago we found out due to state budget cuts(Thanks to the Arnold) that our district is considering closing a school. And of course it is Jean Haymen where Austin currently attends. Now this of course is very upsetting for our family. I spent the first 48 hours after the news broke picketing and passing out fliers in front of the school. I then had a unique opportunity to attend a special meeting with the Superindentant. The meeting consisted of the Schools Principal, PTA president and spouse, and 7 parents(I was one of them). At the meeting they explained the reasons for closing a school and answered all of our questions. I left that morning feeling well informed and found myself agreeing with the need to close a school. Well, that afternoon I attended a parent meeting at the school where a few of us from the meeting tried to share the info with the rest of the parents. I was amazed at how quickly the angry atmosphere conquered me. I was at peace before the meeting and all riled up after 10 minutes of sitting with the parents. It seems like it's 95% that this school is closing at the end of the year.
All the kids there right now would then be dispersed into surrounding schools. I have been to 3 possible schools and I am terrified that I don't know anything about them. This school closure has made it hard to registar Autumn for kindergarten. She needs special accomidations for her allergies. One school told me to chill and not to worry. Easy for them, they haven't seen her struggling to breathe. I did go and talk to our old school Don Grahm and the principal there says he is willing to accomadate anyway neccessary for her safety. But I can't just put my kids there because I want to. I have since put in a transfer request for Austin and Autumn to attend Don Grahm Elementary next year. I am so stressed out over all this chaous. Autumn can't just attend anywhere due to her allergies. She needs a very vigilant teacher and school staff so that she doesn't have an episode at school. I find myself angry with the district because we were attending Don Grahm and were forced to go to Jean Haymen. And now that they are most likely closing our current school I can't have my choice for my kids. I just hope this district gets their act together and that my kids will attend the same school and that the school will be able to protect Autumn. Worst case Autumn would have to stay home with me. This really makes me miss Corona because there I worked for the district and new people in high places and could pretty much do what I wanted. I go back to the district on the 14th to raise a little more trouble to try and safeguard my kids.

6 comments:

Sarah Hall said...

Erin, I understand how frustrating and hard it can be, dealing with the school and fighting for your kids well being. Its a battle I wouldnt wish on anyone. Thats why when the secretary at our current school said that the Principal and VP were trained in diabetes care I seriously fought back tears. Knowing that the school was going to be easy to work with and Skyler was well cared for was a relief. Karis school in Murrieta has had me seeing red with the attitude of her school nurse if I was close I would have been there to teach her a thing or two. The best thing to do is to verse yourself in the laws both Federal and State because most people at the schools dont know what they are talking about its 5percent truth mixed with garbage. Make sure you find the head nurse for your district and talk with her. But I say you move out here we have great schools with nurses and allergy classes. Oh yeah I was wondering if I could hook you up with Rachel remember chris's cousin she has a small child with food allerigies and its a struggle your a pro. Ill call you I love you keep up the fight. Our kids are worth it. Maybe its your job to get a peanut free classroom started. One in every grade level is how they do it here.

everyday katie said...

The more I read about you as a mom, the more I realize how cut out for it you are. You are so involved and so fun. You have no problem rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty...whether it be in real dirt, or in school, or whatever. You've been like this as long as I've known you. IT the perfect personality type for motherhood.

Good luck with the school situation. I know you'll make the best of it.

jeanine said...

That is so frustrating! Way to go and be proactive though and not just sit at home and complain. Things will work out for the best I'm sure but it's so frustrating in the meantime!!!

Traci Elizabeth said...

Good luck, and you go girl!! Way to get involved!

Heather said...

That sucks Erin, sorry you're having to deal with all this! I know it will work out, but this in-between period is not fun I'm sure!

Tolley Family said...

Wow that really sucks! I didn't realize Autumn has allergies. I can totally understand your worries. I hope it get resolved soon!