Thursday, April 10, 2008

Oobleck, Slime and Volcanoes-OH MY!!

So today I went all Mad Sciencetist with the kids. We met 3 families at the park and after playing for a while on the toys we set up our lab on a park bench!! We started with Oobleck. It's a mixture that when you apply pressure(like rolling it into a ball) it looks like a white snowball. But as soon as you stop it oozes and melts into a liquid. Very cool and very messy.




Oobleck
1 cup water
1 cup Corn Starch
(Mix and then scrape the bowl for gobs of the stuff)




Next, we made Slime. This was less messy! The kids wanted it green so we added food coloring. We made 2 portions so everyone could have a goodsize glob to play with and take home. They all got a kick out of it.



Slime
1 cup water
1 tsp. Borax
(Mix together)

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup glue
Food coloring
(Mix together)

Mix both mixtures together and the goo is slime. The more you play with it the less gooey it is. Store in a baggie for hours of fun.



We finished off the day of science with a volcano. Austin really loved this and even did his evil laugh while it was erupting. "WhaaaaaaHhaaaaaaa" Autumn liked it too.



Volcano Mixture
Baking Soda
Water
(Mix egual portions and watch it ooze)






It was so much fun getting messy and playing with the kids. They really enjoy the hands on stuff, and it's fun to watch their reactions and hear them talk about it weeks later. They are already asking about our next experiment day!!

5 comments:

everyday katie said...

oooo yay! Thanks for the recipes. My crazies will be all over this. Although, I couldn't do them all in one day.

jeanine said...

Erin you are such a FUN mom! I'll have to try this with William someday soon.

Jessica said...

You are such a fantastic mom. It is a good thing I don't have boys yet I don't know if I could be that creative or stand the mess.

Heather said...

Sweet! That looks like so much fun! I want some slime! Seth and I are going to do it! :)

Tolley Family said...

What a fun mom you are!! I will have to try those out with my kids!