Monday, April 7, 2008

How did we name our Geeks?!

First off "geek" is a name my dad used to refer to me and my siblings growing up. So, in our house it's a name of endearment not a bad name. Just in case that seems mean to you.

Austin David


Austin: Majestic
David: Beloved

So, finding a name was hard because Paul and I have worked with so many kids that a lot of names were so not going to happen. If I liked it Paul didn't and vice versa. Paul did like Dartanian, but that was so not happening. Our joke name was Hyrum Speed, so we could call him Hi-speed Chase. Well, we ran across Austin and loved it. We then thought Austin Michael sounded good. So, when we annouced him after delivery he was Austin Michael Chase, but this only lasted until the next morning. I was all alone filling out his birth certificate info and couldn't spell Michael. I tried many times, and nothing looked right. I didn't want to ask anyone for help, so I changed it to David. It is Paul's middle name and my dad's first name and I could spell it. So that is how Austin got his name.


Autumn Elizabeth


Autumn: Season of change
Elizabeth: Consecrated to God, mother of John the Baptist

We thumbed through many baby name books, magazines, and movies trying to find a name for our soon to be born baby girl. I loved Gwyneth, and Paul liked Shelby. But many close family members couldn't stand one or the other so we were blank. While laboring we looked through a baby name book and started getting silly. She was being born on October 7th so we started thinking up seasonal names. We talked about witch names, colors, and family names. We had written down a few names on paper, and read them off. Autumn Elizabeth were read off and veryone in the room loved it and it sounded so neat with Austin's name. Paul had come up with both, my mom and I kept saying fall, and Paul came up with Autumn. She is our little princess, and looks great in fall colors. The name really suits her.

We realized that we have drawn ourselfs into a corner with the "Au" names. We like, Aubrey and Audrey, but the only boy name is Augustus so we may have to settle on "A" names. Like Andrew, Alex, or Adam. I also like Abigail and Paul likes Ashley. So time will tell with our next kids. This has been fun remebering the moments of how we named our kids. Lots of fun and laughs, and making sure there were no bad nicknames.

6 comments:

Traci Elizabeth said...

Okay..the middle name change for Austin was hilarious. And, I know you gave Autumn the middle name Elizabeth after me...its my middle name!! Thanks for sharing!

everyday katie said...

I love the DAvid story. HIlarious. My stories are not that good.

jeanine said...

I love that you changed Austin's middle name like that--hilarious!

Jessica said...

I love it. How cool that you changed Austins name and Paul didn't care. Very inventive with Autumns name that is fun.

Heather said...

Ooh I like Audrey! That is a really cute girls name! I love the kids names and the pictures in this post are the best!

Tolley Family said...

That was fun to read. I like both your kids names. I also always spell micheal wrong? Did I spell it right this time? uM..according to spell check no. I'll leave it spelled wrong to prove my point. :) Oh and if you ever want to go to L.A. for some fun let me know. :)