Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tears, Laughter and Pain, OH MY!!

It all started on Monday. I had my regular nurse visit, a nurse comes and changes my dreesing on my iv line and takes blood for the lab. That afternoon my arm was itchy, but i chalked it up to the fact that it has been 2 months of constant coverage of the skin, so of course it should itch! Well, after no sleeping Monday night and Tuesday night because it iched so bad I was mad with pain form all the itching! Tuesday afternoon and evening I had severe pain under my ribs on the right side to the point I couldn't breathe. Wednesday I saw my doctor at 9am. We started with the itching problem, he started to remove the bandage and as soon as air hit my skin it itch unbearably. I started crying and so did the doctor and nurse. It was all swollen, oozy, and red! I had been having an allergic reaction under the bandage since Monday. Once we figured that out I actually laughed at myself for not realizing it, and so did my doctor. We had been disscussing ending the TPN iv, but I had planned on keeping the PIC Line for future access for fluids. After seeing the skin all jacked up around it the doctor had to remove the PIC line. He was afraid it would hurt, but the itching was so bad I didn't even notice him taking it out or the achohal pad he used to clean the opening! I now have a special steroid cream for the area and a perscription benadryl for the night to knock me out! After all that we then disscussed the pain near my ribs. It is my gallbladder acting up. The doctor doesn't want to remove it while I am pregnant because of all the issues I have, so for now I can treat the severe pain with Tylenol with Codine, and if I spike a fever it is straight to the ER for anibiotics and admission to ward off an infection. And after all that my due date has been pushed back from June 15th to June 24th again! My doctor has been great he even asked if he could hug me, and I said yes. he told me to hang in there and promised he would see me through the delivery and recoup of this pregnancy! I am so grateful to be off the IV's and I am finding more foods that sound good. I see the doctor again next Wednesday and hope nothing else major happens before then. I am off to take all my meds and crash out for the night! I am so ready for June 24th and for this all to be over. At least I am not an elephant, because they are pregnant for 2 years!!

The pictures are blurry because I couldn't get the camera back enough-sorry if they gross anyone out!!



8 comments:

Nicole said...

Ouch Erin! I'm so glad you found the source of the problem. And yay for being off IV's! You're half way there darling!! I continue to think of you all the time. xoxo

jeanine said...

Erin, you are such a trooper! I don't think I could have laughed about it as soon as you did. It sounds like you have an awesome doctor too... what a blessing!

Heidi said...

OH my goodness... I am not sure I would be brave enough to do this more than once. Seriously, you are one faithful woman! I really hope you are feeling better! You are in my thoughts!

Traci Elizabeth said...

Erin..you are a trooper! Good luck and I hope everything turns around soon!

4handfulls said...

Ouch Erin! Big hugs to you!

Sundbergs said...

You are a trooper. . .hang in there girl you are amazing. Glad to hear you are off IV's.

Heather said...

So on the really bright side you got to find out the sex early! :) Does that help? No? Okay, well I tried! Sorry you've had to go thru this and I hope it gets better from here!

Jessica said...

Oh Erin, just when I thought things were getting better for you. You are amazing. I don't know how you do. You will be blessed with a darling sweet baby that is for sure. Hang in there and good luck.