So, my awesome doctor got me an inducement for Friday June 19th in the morning at
6am. My Mom came and spent the night Thursday night. We woke up Friday at 5am and called to make sure they weren't busy so we could come. We got the green light and headed on down to start the process of inducement.
They got me set up in a huge delivery suite and hooked me up to a regular saline iv and the magical petosin! I was at a 2 and 20% effaced when we began around 7am. Jill came out from Corona to sit with Austin and Autumn so my mom could come be with us in the delivery room. Paul and her played games: Scrabble Slam, and a card game called Golf, while I rested. Paul's parents also came and hung out with us while I labored.
I was checked around noon and was only at a 3, so we did some more waiting. In my previous deliveries I get the shakes around 4 so we ordered the epidural. I got the epidural which really surprised me due to the burning of the medicine. You can poke me all you want just don't make it burn!! Around 4pm I was checked again and the nurse was having a hard time gauging any progression, so a 2nd nurse came in to check and ended up breaking my water. Paul's dad headed home because his back hurt and his sister Mary showed up and joined the labor room for some visiting time. Then the real action began. In less then 30 minutes I dilated to 5 and was 80% effaced. Paul cleared the room and stuff changed so fast. I felt back pain and pressure so the nurse checked and siad I was 100% effaced and we started placing our bets on delivery time: all were around 7pm or later. The nurse left and said to get her if the pain or pressure increased.
Well by 5pm I finally spoke up and siad I wanted to be checked. The nurse came and looked and was shocked to annouce I went from 5 to 10 in less than 30 minutes. Then the room became a whirlwing of activity. The doctor was called and told to hurry in and I was told absolutely no pushing. This was really hard to obey, not only was my back killing me I was ready to be done. The doctor barely had time to suit and glove up and when she said to try pushinh man did I listen. I was actually told to stop beacause she was coming so fast, and when I got the green light to finish the push we had our little girl!!
June 19th at 5:45 pm she came! Paul cut the umbilical cord! He hadn't with the others. She had a great head of dark hair, and looked amazing. They took her to weigh in and I was shocked to hear 7lbs 7ozs. & 18 3/4 inches long. I was expecting a big 81/2 to 9 lb baby like the other two. SHe was a itty-bitty perfect Little Miss. This hospital does an hor of skin to skin contact between baby and mom, so the family got to see her but she stayed skin to skin with me. Austin and Autumn were brought in first to meet her and help name her. We first annouced her as Abigail, but after talking with Paul later and hearing he didn't think it fit we agrred to wait until morning and take time to look at her together and decide then.
So, Paul and the kids came back Saturday morning and the kids got to hold her for the first time and we disscussed her name. It was decided it would be Kayla Marie Chase. And after spending time with her I have to say Daddy picked a good name for her.
We planned on us coming home Saturday night so Paul came to get us but we were informed she had jaundice and had to stay for ultra violet light treatmnet. I was so bummed but Austin and Autumn were extremely dissappointed when Daddy came home without not only Mommy but the new baby sister.
I had no idea when he left what a long and draining night I was in for. They started her in a little light table which she proceeded to puke all over. So we then wited for the big incubator light system. It took up half the room and turned the whole place blue with the light it emitted. Now, they wanted her in just a diaper for 3 hour stints with 20-30 minute feedings inbetween for the night. We started at 6pm and quickly reialized she was not having any of it. She wanted to be swaddled and cuddled. By 8pm I was drained and slightly hopeless she would get enough time in the lights. During that time she spit-up dark blood and really freaked me out. Came to find it she had gulped in stuff during delivery and her body was expelling it orally. So between soothing her for a minute, sticking her in the incubator asleep to have her awaken within a few minutes, and then from the crying vomitt up blood the night was unbearable. They pumped her stomach twice and got out 12 ccs of blood and a lot of air. Between 6pm Saturday night and 5:30am Sunday I struggled to keep putting her in the "box and try to sooth her through the little hand holes in it. Neither of us slept and she did a lot of crying, screaming, and pleading to be released form the torture which was our little "Blue Box Therapy"!! At 5:30 the lab came and drew blood to check how we did. I was very leary of good resulte because the night just seemed long and it seemed I hadn't done a good enough job. Well, thank heavens she want from a 17 which is high to a 7 and we got the green light to go home. Paul felt helpless not being there, but through phone calls and texting he kept me going!!
So, Paul and the kids came to the hospital this morning to sprin Kayla and I and bring us home. The kids felt so important and proud to pick us up. And Paul was so happy to be picking up his girl's especially on Father's Day no less. So, we are all home doing great and grateful that we survived the ordeal of chaous and excitement!!
She is so little and cute and we are just in awe of the fact we have a baby again, and relishing each moment since she is our last. Total I am down 37 lbs. But at least my stomach is pretty much gone already. Well, time to go start our 1st night at home, hope it is better than last night! :)
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Our little girl has arrived!!
Posted by
Erin
at
9:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
She is so freakin tiny next to Mitch! That killed me seeing them next to each other today! She is just so adorable and I'm so glad she is here! I see a great cousinship in their future and am so excited to watch them grow together, our little beauty and BEAST! :) Love you and CONGRATS!! All well worth it for her precious presence!
Beautiful!!! Congrats!!
HOORAY! Congrats. My third was my smallest, too. I think that's why number three just shot our like a rocket for me, too.
I love labor stories. Kayla's beautiful. I'm surprised you didn't go with an A name.
Congratulations Paul and Erin! She is so cute! You made it Erin. Good job! :) xoxo
Congrats! What a great Father's Day gift for Paul! My third was my smallest (by over a pound) too! She is beautiful...
Erin, she is such a doll! I'm sure she was totally worth any hassle you had to endure. I love her name. Enjoy every moment of her being that tiny... it doesn't last long! Congrats.
Oh my stars! She is truly a beauty! Congrats on having a healthy momma and baby! Love Bonnie
YAY... love her name. although I am surprised you didnt go with an name as well. She is beautiful!
Congratulations!!!
congratulations. She's darling
Congrats. I loved reading the whole story. Sorry to hear aobut all the troubles that night in the hospital. I am glad she is home and all is well she is so cute. I love how little she is.
Congrats! SHe is beautiful and I LOVE the name you guys decided on! I was so excited in Relief Society when they announced you had your baby girl! Congrats agaiN!
What a story. I am so glad that you are done and we have a new, healthy niece. Great job! I love the onesie! Shopping for girls is too fun.
Post a Comment