Friday, September 11, 2009

Goodbye Dear Old Friends!

So yesterday was a monumental day in our house. After 9 years we have said goodbye to our couches. They were an awesome set of microsuede that held up so well. But it was time for a new set and so after shopping at a billion+ stores I found the perfect set at Mathis Bros. Originally $2300 for the set, we got them for $1100 with the 5 year protection plan. Salvation Army came and took the old ones yesterday morning and the new ones were delivered a few hours later.

It was difficult to see them go. These were the couches I layed on for 9 months 3 sepearte times growing my babies. I have home from the hospital pics on them. It is where I cuddle napped with my geeks, and just enjoyed napping myself. The armrest worn out prematurely because I layed on it with wet hair pregnant with Austin. Or the loveseat with the soap stain from Autumn squirting a whole Costco size bottle of dishsoap on it! They were so flipping comfy!!! But it was time to let them go. I never would have thought I would have such an emotional attachment to them. We also said goodbye to our first kitchen table. It was replaced with a counter height dark wood 6 seater table with a butterfly leave. Fancy, I know! The old table had been loved to death. It had poke marks from the kids learning to use utensils, to water marks from doing Heather's Bridal Flower arragemnets and bouget, to stains from crafts with the geeks! Seems so odd that we have new stuff.

Now don't get me wrong I love the new stuff, but it is just all the memories created around or on these pieces of furniture that gets to me. I had the same reaction when Paul traded in our Plymoth Breeze for A Chevy Cobalt-we had brought Austin home in that car. So, after much shopping and consideration I am officially moving on with my new furniture.




This was the old couch!





And these are the new ones!!!





And another mile stone for Kayla-she has moved to the crib in Autumn's room!! It makes her look so small!!


The bassinet was just getting to small for her!


It has been a wild week of transitioning for us-but hey life goes on and you either move with it or get left behind!!



4 comments:

Heidi said...

love the new couches... Daphne will join the crib club soon enough!

Heather said...

OOH!!! They look SO GOOD!!! I didn't know that my wedding flowers left water stains, sorry about that! Totaally jealous about that kitchen set, it is beautiful!! I know what you mean about memory attachment, it will be hard for me to give up our first married ikea furniture I am sure! ;) Okay Kayla, get your fists and vocal cords ready just in case your sister gets tempted to "play" with you! LOL!!! She does look super tiny in that crib!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Love, love, love the new couches! I also love the crib bedding! I need to get my girl used to sleeping on her back so she can sleep in her crib. She is still sleeping in her bouncy chair! Your little lady has grown so much since I last saw her and she is so cute!

Sarah Hall said...

Well sounds like we have similar tastes. We got a leather couch and recliner very similar when we moved here and a counter high table and 4 chairs to. No butterfly leaf though its just for the kitchen. Its great that you have so many wonderful memories and they stay with you. Cant wait for you guys to come and visit us!! I miss you all. Kiss the kids for me. xoxo